As of September 11, we are open for in-store shopping again Tuesday–Saturday from 11 am–5 pm. Curbside pickup is available during all open hours.
We’ve been hard at work reorganizing and gearing up to prepare for customer browsing again, and to that end we have new procedures and policies in place to help keep our staff and our customers safe—you can read more about them below. We’re so excited to be open again and we can’t wait to see you in our shop soon!
The Children’s Book Shop In-Store Shopping Policies
- We will allow a maximum of four customers in the store at one time. If there are already four customers in the store when you arrive, we’ll ask you to wait outside the shop until there’s room inside.
- Masks are required for everyone over the age of 2 and must be covering the nose and mouth at all times.
- We’ll provide hand sanitizer at the shop entrance—please use it before beginning to browse.
- Maintain social distancing of six feet from others as much as possible while in the store. We have moved some fixtures around to make more space in the front of the store, but you may need to briefly browse in another section if someone is already in the section that interests you. (The middle grade aisle in particular is pretty tight!)
- We’re so excited to offer the chance to browse again, and we hope that you are too, but out of courtesy for other customers we ask that you shop with the intent to purchase and try to limit your browsing to no more than 20-30 minutes.
- When checking out, please place your items on the counter and then step back while the bookseller rings them up. You can step up to the counter again for payment.
- At this time, we are only accepting credit cards, Google/Apple Pay, and checks—no cash.
- If you have specific titles in mind, please call in advance to check availability. We can special order many titles that we don’t have in stock and are happy to take those orders over the phone as well as in store.
- We will continue to offer and encourage curbside pickup for phone orders placed in advance! Give us a call when you arrive and we’ll bring your purchase to you at the door.
- For the time being, we ask that you not bring your dogs into the shop. (Rest assured, we do miss seeing them and we’ll happily wave at them through the door!)
- Our bathroom is closed to customers.
What We’re Doing to Protect Our Customers and Staff
- We’ve moved some things around to create more space at the front of the store. You may notice some of your favorite Children’s Book Shop standbys—our Bear and Maisy dolls, as well as the Maisy House and other smaller toys—have been put away for now, since they’re difficult to sanitize.
- We’re limiting the number of customers and employees in the store at any one time.
- We have removed most of the seating to discourage lingering for long periods of time.
- Computers, registers, door handles, and other frequently touched surfaces will be sanitized regularly. Employees will wash their hands frequently, and hand sanitizer will be available to both customers and employees.
- We plan to prop the door open as often as weather permits for increased airflow.
- We’re following guidelines from the CDC and the Town of Brookline, as well as what other local bookstores and businesses have found successful. We’ll continue to monitor the situation and adjust our approach as necessary.
- Essentially, we’re doing everything we can to keep our employees and customers safe, and we ask for your help in achieving that goal!
We have set up a GoFundMe campaign to help us cover the necessary operational costs of the business (mortgage payments, payroll, utilities, publisher expenses and invoices, website fees) during this challenging time. Any help you can give will be much appreciated! Donate here.